A guy in Wisconsin says the bottle burned his car door from the inside
Image: Western Lakes Fire Dept. via Facebook
Should we worry about keeping bottles of hand sanitizer in our cars on a hot day?
A Facebook post shows a Wisconsin guy's vehicle door - melted on the inside - apparently from hand sanitizer that caught fire, and the town's fire department has even issued a warning.
In an email to Q Country/Star FM news - the Manitoba Fire Commissioner's Office says "alcohol-based hand sanitizer is considered flammable - and the bottles typically
have a warning to keep away from open flame, however the OFC is not aware of any evidence that it could spontaneously combust if stored in a hot car."
WMTV/Gray News reported Thursday, a Wisconsin fire department is warning people about the dangers of leaving hand sanitizer in their vehicles on a hot day.
In a Facebook post showing a burned-out car door, the Western Lakes Fire District explains most hand sanitizers are alcohol-based, making them flammable.
“Keeping it in your car during hot weather, exposing it to sun, and particularly being next to open flame while smoking in vehicles or grilling while enjoying this weekend can lead to disaster,” they stated. The fire district also warned of the risks of leaving clear water bottles in cars on a warm day.
In the post, the fire department included links to more information about flammable hand sanitizer and even a video on the subject. “Please respect the possibilities and be fire safe,” the fire department urges.