A portion of the Whiteshell Provincial Park near Sturgeon Falls, where two boys were swept underwater by strong currents and drowned earlier this summer, is getting some new safety measures, the provincial government has announced.
Environment and Climate Change Minister Mike Moyes said construction of new safety measures would begin as soon as possible, with the completion date being targeted for sometime in mid-September.
“Our hearts are with every family that has been affected by a tragedy at this site. We have a responsibility to do everything we can to make this site safer and to prevent another family from going through this kind of heartbreak,” said Moyes. “These measures will make the Sturgeon Falls area safer and ensure that Manitobans and visitors are protected when the area reopens.”
According to a release from the province, the new safety upgrades include installing fencing to prevent public access to slippery rock areas with a high risk of accidents and injury, updating current signage to clearly warn against swimming and caution about slippery or hidden rocks and strong current, building fenced viewing areas to provide a safer space for Manitobans to enjoy and appreciate Sturgeon Falls, and establishing a new portage providing ongoing access and egress for canoeists and kayakers to safe shoreline areas adjacent to the falls.
Aaron Au Ramirez, 13, and Maximo Au Ramirez, 10, were swept underwater on July 18. Their bodies were recovered during the following week on July 23 and 22 respectively.













