The City of Brandon Public Works Department says it's ready for this latest dump of snow. In a media release sent out January 13th, they said if accumulations were 10 cm or more, crews would start a full snow clearing event Friday at 7:00 a.m.
The release says "snowfall amount, density of snow, humidity, rising or falling temperatures, wind velocity and direction along with the time of year, all play a part in how the City's Public Works Department responds to any particular snow event. If a Citywide plowing program is implemented, it will be completed immediately after a snow event.
Snow plowing and/or snow removal are conducted according to a priority system. When storms are continuous, or closely follow one another, operations will be repeated or continued on the routes of the highest priority, before moving onto routes of a lesser priority. These route designations include the following:
Priority One "A" (P1A)
- Include main routes to be plowed within 24 hours of the start of a snow event
- Main arterial streets throughout the city to ensure ease of travel and plowed streets are evenly spread city wide
- Once finished P1A route crews will move directly into P1 routes
Priority One (P1)
- Include routes that primarily consist of arterial and collector streets, City bus routes and some selected residential streets.
- The clearing of snow on these streets is the main emphasis of the snow clearing program following a snow event. City crews, however, may be clearing other streets while the P1 routes are being cleared.
- Depending on conditions these streets are normally cleared in the first 24 to 72 hours (about 3 days) after plowing commences.
If residents have any inquiries about snow clearing in their area, they can do the following:
- Visit https://snowmap.brandon.ca/ for regular updates
- Sign up for Text notifications at https://textme.brandon.ca/ *
- Call 204-729-2285 either during regular business hours or after hours if they have any emergent concerns.
The public is encouraged to not call another phone number other than 204-729-2285 to ensure a timely response to their inquiry. For more information on snow removal, please visit https://www.brandon.ca/snow-removal
During any snow event the Public Works Department appreciates your cooperation, please be patient, we will get to your street as soon as possible.
*Text notifications will be used to notify you of snow clearing occurring within the city, as well as events specific to your zone.